Crime Prevention Tips: Home Security - Secure Your Home
Install Crime-Resistant Locks
- Deadbolts on all outside entrances.
- Reinforce or replace key-in-the knob locks with cylinder dead horizontal bolts.
- Secure sliding glass doors by placing a strong piece of wood rod in the track.
Prevent Window Entry
- Use window key locks.
- Look into an alarm system.
Crime-Proof Outside Areas
- Yard, porch and entrance well lit at night. Look into motion detector lighting.
- Store tools, toys, etc. after each use.
- Never hide keys outside your home.
Get To Know Your Neighbors
- Get to know each other's schedules so you can be aware when something is not a normal pattern.
- Cooperate in keeping an eye on neighborhood homes.
When Traveling Away From Home
- Inform a trusted neighbor of your travel plans.
- Have someone collect your mail, newspapers and other deliveries while you are away.
- Don't share your plans with strangers.
- Leave shades and blinds in their normal position to give the appearance that someone is at home.
- Use timing devices on lighting in two or more areas of the home.
- Have neighbors use or park in your driveway.
Protect Your Valuable Personal Belongings
- Engrave jewelry, watches, appliances, computers, stereo equipment with an identifying number. The number used should be your Oregon Drivers Licenses Number or ID number. Example OR1234567DL. OR stands for Oregon and the numbers represent your ODL number and the DL stands for Drivers License. By using this method any Law Enforcement Official will know to check the national system for that information.
- Rent a safe-deposit box for valuables and extra cash.