Job Description: Police Assistant
General Statement of Duties
Maintains departmental records through data entry into the Law Enforcement Data System (LEDS) and the Police Department’s Records Management System (RMS); assists the public with information; provides dispatch support to the Umatilla City County Dispatch Center; performs clerical duties associated with police records.
Works under the direction of the Police Lieutenant and/or the shift supervisor.
Examples of Principal Duties
1. Receives incoming complaints or requests for information from the public and either handles the situation or directs the citizen to the appropriate resource.
2. Performs duties associated with dispatching police to calls for service.
3. Monitors telephones and radio traffic.
4. Operates a variety of office equipment to provide information to officers concerning driving and wanted statuses, criminal histories, vehicle queries, property queries and crime statistics.
5. Enters and monitors warrants and other information pertinent to maintaining law enforcement networks and ensuring compliance with LEDS regulations.
6. Sends, receives and disperses information via telephone, radio, teletype or other accepted methods.
7. Prepares, receives and processes a variety of law enforcement reports, citations and records in conformance with departmental policy.
8. Maintains departmental files, records and office equipment.
9. Types reports dictated by officers.
10. Receives, processes and records monies associated with impounds of vehicles and dogs.
11. Performs other clerical side work as assigned.
Experience & Training
Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school or GED program with specialized course work in general clerical, data entry or communications duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of correct English usage including spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure; modern office procedures and equipment; computer operation and applicable programs; LEDS and NCIC operation rules and regulations.
Necessary Special Qualifications
Ability to type 40 words per minute; successfully complete the LEDS general certification requirements; hear, understand and communicate effectively both orally and in writing; perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
Works in office environment with considerable distractions.
Tools and Equipment Used
Personal computers and associated programs including departmental records system and computer aided dispatch; memo scriber (Dictaphone); scanner; FAX machine; copy machine; telephone; teletype and radio.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sitting for long periods of time; talking and hearing; reading and interpreting maps, citations and records requests; repetitive hand and body movements; occasionally lifting and/or moving up to ten pounds; using close vision with the ability to adjust focus.
Pendleton City Police Association (PCPA)
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer at the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.