General Statement of Duties:
Enforces City ordinances related to parking, solid waste, dogs, dead storage and nuisance abatement within the City of Pendleton.
Works under the direction of the Detective Serge ant or his/her designee.
Examples of Principal Duties:
1. Issues parking citations along city streets and in areas where parking is controlled or prohibited by City ordinance(s).
2. Identifies, logs and posts appropriate notice on vehicle(s) found to be in violation of dead storage ordinance(s).
3. Educates public on ordinance violations, regulations, fines and due process.
4. Actively seeks dogs running at large and takes appropriate action against the dog’s owner when identified.
5. Follows up on solid waste and nuisance abatement referrals by taking appropriate enforcement action to gain compliance.
6. Answers questions and complaints from the public concerning City ordinance(s) and departmental or City policies
7. Maintains records and disperses notification(s) required by City ordinance(s).
8. Reports criminal law and ordinance violation(s) observed during course of duties to appropriate departmental member(s).
9. Appears in court, and is available to testify in matters which he/she has knowledge.
10. Delivers departmental reports and mail to appropriate destinations.
11. Walks and operates a motorized vehicle in the performance of assigned duties.
12. Performs related duties as assigned.
Recruitment Requirements, Experience & Training:
Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school or GED programs; demonstrates the ability to complete the tasks outlined above in an efficient and competent manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of City ordinances and state laws; basic record keeping techniques; interpersonal skills when dealing with the public.
Ability to learn City ordinances; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; read and interpret City ordinances and State laws; accurately recognize and note names, numbers, places and incidents; deal tactfully and effectively with the public; communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; work independently; walk for extended periods of time.
Necessary Special Qualifications:
Must possess, or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid Oregon Driver’s License without record of suspension or re vocation in any state; ability to meet departmental physical standards; have no history of felony conviction(s).
Work in indoor and outdoor environments; adverse weather conditions; exposure to exhaust fumes, dust , and dogs.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Motor vehicle, personal computer, telephone; mobile and portable radio; copy and FAX machines; chalking stick; animal snare.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Walking for extended periods of time; driving; bend ing; hearing and speaking to exchange information; lifting of mail and supplies.
Working with irate and abusive individuals through the course of issuing parking citations.
Pendleton City Police Association (PCPA) The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer at the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.