Crime Prevention Tips: Child Safety
Keeping Children Safe
- Be very aware of what children are taught about their safety. Many times, children are not as clever as the adult who is focused on accosting them. Teach them to run.
- Never use "code" words because asking a stranger for a "code" word puts the child within grabbing distance.
- Promise your child you will NEVER send a stranger to pick them up.
- Do not have the child's name on articles of clothing.
- Teach them to shout, "Call the Police" rather than "help."
- Children should never open the door or answer the phone when home alone.
- If the child answers the phone, he/she should never let the other person know the parents are not there.
- Teach children how and when to use 9-1-1.
- Have children home alone turn on lights throughout the house
- SafeKids - Contains information about the dangers of children using the internet and suggested rules, advice, and tips relating to Internet activities.