What is Adopt-A-Parkway?
It is a program for volunteers to help keep the Umatilla River Parkway clean, prevent potential pollutants from entering our waterways and an even more beautiful river walkway.
Who Can Participate?
People of all ages and walks of life can be an active part of Adopt-A-Parkway. The program provides a great opportunity to promote civic responsibility, community pride and camaraderie within your organization. Groups could consist of:
- Community organizations
- Church groups
- Service Clubs
- Youth Groups
Pick up litter in and around your designated 300-foot area three times a year for a two year period.
Why Be Involved?
Litter destroys the natural aesthetics of any city, no matter how beautiful the surroundings. Adopt-A-Parkway is a program that utilizes volunteers to help improve the appearance in areas throughout the levee. Although the program focuses on picking up litter, you can also participate in additional projects. These projects would need to be reviewed, but include such things as cutting back the vegetation or removing graffiti. A litter-free community is satisfying to residents. It is also inviting to visitors and prospective new citizens and businesses. By helping keep our river and levee attractive and free of litter everyone who participates feels ownership and a sense of pride in the community.
- We provide the trash bags.
- We dispose of the trash you collect
- A Courtesy sign will be posted to provide your group with name recognition to the community.
Vandalism is a serious and expensive crime – if you witness vandalism call 911
Tips for Success
- Plan accordingly – the Parks Department will provide garbage bags, at which time you can arrange for garbage pick up.
- Whenever something out of the ordinary is observed, such as vandalism or potential safety hazards, please notify the Pendleton Police Department.
- Have a first aid kit on hand.
- Carry a cellular telephone.
- Wear gloves
- Wear appropriate footwear
- Keep a safe distance from the river when appropriate
- Stick together
- Handle hazardous material safely